9.09.2008

Eat, Pray, Love

I realize I'm a wee late on the bandwagon for the Eat Pray Love book craze and all, at least according to the ladies on my train. You see, I spot trends from how many ladies on the train are reading a particular book, carrying their lunch in a little boutique's shopping bag, or wearing a particular shirt or shoe style. And about 3 months ago, the train was a buzzing with this book.

Not only due to the ladies on my train, but I had heard it was about her journey through Italy. A country I have a giant school girl crush on. A place we were going to travel to until the bambino came around (good compromise, of course but still...I'll go one day. Bambino might just have to pay for its own wedding.) Anyhizzle, I've been trying to check out Elizabeth Gilbert's "Eat Pray Love" from the library for months, but it's always unavailable. Finally my girlfriend Heather finished it and sent it my way. And since I am sick of pregnancy manuals and the likes, I wanted to read something for my head and my heart, instead of my uterus.

Now I'm never giving it back. (Heather, love you, but no.)

It did go to show that my dearest Heather and I think quite a bit alike. Every time I went to dog-ear a page, she had already done so. So much that as soon as I saw one of hers on the horizon I couldn't wait to read what she felt was so important. Then, after reading, I'd reread because yep, what a great page that was.

Because I'm shit at book reviews, just do me a favor. If you feel a little nudge at the back of your heart for spirituality and how to make it work with everything you've ever been taught, or if you are in a relationship you aren't sure if you should stay in, if you feel like you aren't really living your life or taking control of yourself....pick it up.

Some gems:

"You gotta stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone oughta be."

"Because the world is so corrupted, unstable, unfair, one should trust only what one can experience with one's senses, and this makes the senses stronger...in a world of disorder and disaster and fraud, sometimes only beauty can be trusted."

"...people universally think of happiness as a troke of luck, something that will maybe descend upon you like fine weather ifyou're fortunate enough. But that's not how happiness works. Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it, you must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it....It's easy enough to pray when you're in distress but continuing to pray even when your crisis has passed is like sealing process, helping your soul hold tight to its good attainments."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home