9.16.2008

Now my thyroid kicks in?

While I adore my doctor and she's so cute I just want ot squeeze her, plus she calls me back almost instantly with all my 10,000 questions, my doctor appointments have sorta been a little...um, what's the word: scattered.

I had to switch OB's at 8 weeks because my old practice split from all-in-one to OB and Gyn. Ever since I've been either told conflicting information, conflicting due dates, and to start medicine I was already on thus needing to convince them I knew what I had been putting in my va-jayge for the past 8 weeks, etc. Now I am awaiting genetic testing results and that got so bungled up that we missed the window to do the u/s for it, so they've apologized and will follow up in October with a whole new set of tests.

I politely declined any more genetic testing for now. Should have trusted my instincts on that anyways.

Now even my genetic counseling place, not associated with the OB office, is guilty of not sending me the results when they said they would. Sigh.

I feel like I have to remember everything so nothing is left out. And now I've reached my limit of no longer being able to cope with it nicely. In the past 24 hours I have had lengthy, but pleasant, discussions with my doctor and the doctor's assistant. I've relayed that I am the patient. They are providing me a service, a service that is VERY NEW TO ME. Yes, I'm willing to research and do whatever they tell me to do, but my god people, is my file written in Klingon? Let's keep it together on your end.

I think, to be fair, I got lost in the shuffle. I was one of the first patients transferred in the split of offices and for some reason one of them didn't communicate everything that had been done already. The new office is literally NEW. Just built and moved over August 1st. I have no idea how women switch doctors mid-pregnancy, but I hope to never do it again. My doc better just never f-ing retire.

When I first started this pregnancy business, I said I just didn't trust my body to just squat in a field somewhere. My body & I have never been close and it always throws me weird curveballs (hello!? Bursitis at age 26?? Goiter out-of-nowhere in my neck closing my windpipe?!) But now? Now I am definitely trusting my instincts a lot more.

So maybe all this is bringing me closer to that little place in me that steers me right.

To find some good in all this, other than my little gestating cupcake, I think I'm finding a balance. I know my doctors are doing everything they can to stay on top of my thyroid, my baby and my health, even when the paperwork gets a little shuffled. I've been checked for things that have caught deficiencies that could have resulted in a miscarriage if untreated. I've had more ultrasounds and doppler checks for heartbeats for no other reason than my sanity. On the other side, I am now trusting that feeling deep down that things are okay or not.

I think I just gotta hold on to this balance. I imagine it will come in handy in 6 months anyways. It's life man, shit ain't always easy.

P.S. Apparently my thyroid is now working too well and my endocrinologist is on the case for adjusting my medicine. Also, everyone medically trained thinks this pain I'm having (now a dull roar constantly) is from ligament strain, uterus growth, all bothering the cysts I have, and there is nothing to do but take it easy and drink LOTS of water. Whew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home