2.08.2009

Mommy Wars

Hi! Quick note: 35 weeks today...feeling like my vagina is falling out and I get about 3 hours sleep a night, but you know what....she's easier and cheaper to care for inside, so I'm not rushing it. Plus, snow has melted. WOOO HOOO!! Really hard to complain. Also, no further visits to the hospital.

On that note: And, just because no one told me...apparently you can PEE YOUR GOD DAMN PANTS just by standing around and think it's your water breaking. However, don't tell people at work your doctor thinks your water broke, because when it hasn't, some of them, especially men will say "What was it then? Oh....nevermind." And you will stand there all awkwardly trying not to tell them about mucous and urine while they try not to look horrified.

A tip I learned from a mother in the trenches...pee as normal, when you think you're done (you aren't) stand up, lift up your belly, sit back and down and try some more. Really. Ladies, our bodies are pretty gross.

Anyfuckinggrossways, if you haven't watched any of the "Momversations," and you like listening to different opinions of funny and outspoken (and might I just add the words "real" and "grounded") ladies on the topics of motherhood, I highly recommend it!

I'm hooked. Recently loved the one about breastfeeding. What a hot topic that is, eh? Since I had a breast reduction at 17 I always knew I would have problems or just not be able too, so really, I made my choice then and I've been fine with it. Now as I get closer to having Addie outside and hungry for sustenance, yes, I wish I could breastfeed, but as always I'm doing what I can and won't feel bad about any choices I have to make. And I know that formula may be in our future at some point.

I'm already bracing myself for the "drive-by" comments from people in the world when they see her getting a bottle, one way or another because I've heard them directed at others.

Truth be told, I'm kinda excited because I'm a rebellous SOB, to tell them straight faced when I'm holding a bottle "It's my sister's breastmilk." Or my favorite response to people who really should mind their own business, "How about you go die?"

Being pregnant has got me a few comments from strangers, words that I would have never said to anyone without knowing them, but I imagine, from what I hear, mothering elicits a WHOLE new world of those people and their comments. That's why I'm fascinated with Momversation site, or other mom blogs. I like hearing that "hey, you are not alone and yes, the world is full of assholes." I always knew I wasn't and it is, but it is good to know there are some level headed ladies out there not trying to cut other women down.

When I'm more clear headed I'd love to jot down my thoughts about why it's so easy for women to bash other women, even to their face. How competitive our sex is and how judgmental. Right now, I'm just trying to get more than 3 hours of shut eye a night.

But if you see a lady with messy hair in the Chicago area in about 2 months, holding a newborn in one arm and sucker punching some well-meaning hippie with the other....just smile and nod and check back here for details.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home