1.18.2009

Edu-ma-cated

Here is what we learned at the class today. I loved it and both left feeling so prepared! Plus we got cookies. HELLO!!?!?!

1.) We can have 4 people in the room at all times during labor (not sure on delivery exactly). HOWEVER, if anyone drives me nuts, the nurses promised to lie and make 4 become 3.
2.) It's freaking swanky and the rooms are HUGE!!! They have these awesome flat screens, views of the lake and Bose systems you plug your iPod into! Gotta make some Cds!
3.) Hospital stay: Vag birth-48 hours, C-Section-3-4 days stay.
4.) Parking garage is ridiculously priced: $10.00/less than 7 hours and $19.00 for more than 7. There is valet...nice.
5.) Tested Argo Tea in lobby, it's fantastic.
6.) Only the mother carries the baby up from Labor & Delivery to my room in my arms, not in a bassinet and it doesn't "meet" you there. Even for a c-section. This comforted me for some reason.
7.) They have lactation consultants on staff to deal with breast reduction/etc. issues and seemed to want 100% breastfeeding right after birth. Right now their rate is 90%. Obviously they will do bottle-feeding and use Enfamil if you go that route but was stoked they are willing to work with us since I may have trouble.
8.) The hospital believes in labor as long as possible, letting you walk around, squat, sit on birthing balls, not be hooked up to monitors (they have portable ones if necessary too), you can get in as many labor positions as necessary. Even have bars on bed for squatting. However, all deliveries are traditional on back, legs up pose. This doesn't bother me.
9.) Hospital also doesn't seem to believe in episiotomies unless absolutely necessary.
10.) Their goal is to get the baby to the mother's skin as soon as possible after born and leave them there for as long as they can. (thought this was nice!)
11.) Epidurals can be given at any time, however if you are close to 10 they encourage not getting them.
12.) They do not give enemas.

It was really really fun and worth it and the hospital seemed to go with my hopes for birth! We both feel like we are way more prepared now. No hippies or teenagers, but some of the ladies and their men in there seemed kinda uninformed, just to be judgmental. Ha! Like asking questions you'd know if you read any preg. book. This one girl, who strangely reminded me of New York from Flavor of Love, kept telling us about her "sister" and how she didn't poop for a month afterwards...blah blah. There was one couple that was absolutely terrified. I felt really bad for them and just wanted to hug them both. However, she did work up the courage to ask if she should shave her "region" before birth.

Most of the ladies just kept wanting to know how fast they could get epidurals. The teacher was like, "girls, we can't come to your house!" theMan gave the best husband answer: "I'm here to learn how I can support my wife." I nearly mounted him there.

It was good and she spoke very frankly about what happens to your jacked up vag afterwards. I also don't feel so scared any more just because I got to see where I will labor and it just eased my mind a ton. The place is super swanky. I kinda can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home