12.06.2005

Tired

Doing a little research using my Ph.D from Google Medical School I figured out a lot more on my “condition”. As a result of losing half my thyroid, I now have Hypothyroidism, which means too little thyroid hormone is produced and it’s screwing up my metabolism and pituitary gland production. Want to hear some fun symptoms of it?

Fatigue (check!)
Weakness (I can still pick up my husband like a baby monkey, so I’d say no.)
Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight (since I was about 14)
Coarse, dry hair (not that I know of)
Dry, rough pale skin (I’ve always been pale, and my skin is dry but I bet that’s more winter than anything)
Hair loss (not unless Pete with scissor’s counts in that equation)
Cold intolerance (who the hell knows, it’s like 4 fucking degrees outside!)
Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches (just my knees a little, but that’s per usual)
Constipation (ugh…yes.)
Depression/Irritability (not anymore than usual)
Memory loss (what is this post about?)
Abnormal menstrual cycles (no, right on time like painful clockwork)
Decreased libido (it comes in waves lately, quite honestly so hard to say.)

So yea, three cheers for hypothyroidism!

Now I didn’t have this condition before my surgery, my levels were normal. My cyst wasn’t because of it, that was just a freak thing, but because I had the surgery I now have this. Weird isn’t it? Thankfully what I found out is pretty calming. I’ll be fine, I just gotta take medicine the rest of my life and get more blood drawn than should be legally allowed to one person.

Once I get my medication figured out, I’ll be set for life except I might have to take some extra precautions during pregnancy, should I be so lucky as to ever get pregnant. Pregnancy is one aspect I’m not sure about just yet. If you have hypothyroidism it can cause pregnancy problems, but if you’re treating it, then it should be fine. With all the infertility issues on both sides of my family, I don’t have high hopes. To be extra melodramatic, I didn’t have high hopes in the first place.

Anyways, my point, and I do have one, is that I wasn’t feeling any symptoms since my surgery outside of my incision being tender still (should be for up to 2 months). I started my medicine on Friday and promptly went to bed at 9:30 p.m. that night and slept for 11 hours, followed by 2 naps. I noticed that since I started my medicine I’ve been exhausted and well, a wee constipated but those are things a lady doesn’t discuss on a blog. Sex toys and farting, yes, constipation, no. I’d hate to ruin the image you have of me by replacing it with a red faced, grunting Kitten perched over the porcelain throne doing her best Jean Claude Van Damme movie poster impression. Thankfully those are the only symptoms so far.

But my god, the exhaustion. It’s crushing. One of my BFF’s is going through chemo right now and that makes her really fatigued too (although trust me, I’m not comparing my tiredness to her chemo tiredness). I don’t know how she does it on TOP of having a mobile one year old hell bent on destroying all things expensive in their house that happen to be less than 3 feet off the ground. I think of her every time I feel too tired to pick up the house or get groceries or take the dog for a walk because if she can do it being “chemo tired” I can do it being a little “thyroid tired.”

Being tired when you’ve slept as much as you can while still trying to have a life outside of work, is L-A-M-E. Please Deity of Choice, don’t let me develop memory loss and decreased libido on top of it! Although while suffering exhaustion and constipation, do I really want to feel sexy and remember this?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

From your chemo-tired friend, I have to say that as long as you have a medical condition and not just the "I partied all night" excuse, it's ok to be complain about fatigue. It sounds like a documented side effect and thus you are able to complain about it. I'm just glad you don't have the hair loss or I'd think you were trying to compete on who has the worse medical condition!

And a comment on the blood drawing? I think it's a conspiracy that doctors have to torture us. You don't even want to get me started...

But seriously, don't keep comparing your situation to mind. Hypothyroidism is a serious/real condition. You'll have to take medication forever. I won't. While I currenly have a larger medicine cabinet and some of it is definately more toxic at the moment, I'm hoping I'll be done with the medication in a year and then will only be subjected to getting the ladies squeezed flat as a pancake once a year. You should have another 11 years or so before you join me in that club.

7:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home