8.15.2005

One Sweet World

We are freaking moved in…well mostly. Let me tell ya, that first night in the air conditioning we had that thermostat so low that when we all (violently shaking from frost bite) walked out to turn it down the following morning, we had to laugh. The new place is fabulous, I can’t get enough. Both my sister and I humped the dish washer at separate times without each other knowing. That’s how much we think alike.

Big THANX to our buds that helped us out. I thought for sure we were going to have to burn down the old apartment to get the TV and couch out of it, but nope. My police record remains arson free.

As a bonus we got to visit with Mr. Easton who is such an inspiration (his hot wife is quite a lady too). We got to dance to some Talking Heads, listen to the rain and drink coffee while checking out pics of his adorable little wee ones (not his balls, those were washed in the sink, and I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t be described as “wee”).

Surprisingly I was reminded why I decided to go all organic (whenever possible) on my foods and drinks. We talked with Easton (who is an organic farm owner (www.moondanceranch.com) . His suggestions were as follows:

“As far as using your consumer power to help the world.....shade grown organic coffee, any organic grain based food (cereals, soy milks, corn chips, etc.), and organic dairy products are the best places to put your dollars. Those products have significant acreage requirements, therefore they help protect more and more of the earth. It's way too pricey to buy all organic, but if you choose where to put your money wisely, you can make a very positive impact.”

We followed this discussion up with a viewing of “Go Further.” I would definitely suggest watching this flick, even if you aren’t interested in organic living. They bring along a friend, Steve, as a Production Assistant and he’s so funny we were all bawling from laughing so hard. The jist of the film is Wood Harrelson takes a bus down Highway One on the West Coast (sorta a homage to Ken Kesey’s trip in Electric Kool-aid Acid Test) to promote organic or healthy living which leaves a “lighter footprint on the earth.” Despite all you hippy haters out there, it’s very entertaining and more than informing at the same time. Plus, like I said, worth it to hear some gems from Steve.

For the past 6 or so months, we’ve tried to stick to all organic, preservative free, etc. foods and that has even extended into our cleaning products, detergents and toilet paper. Not all the time and I’m not militant about it. I still eat at restaurants, but I admit rarely I’m found eating fast food anymore. I mostly did it as a way to get healthier plus lose weight. I do strongly believe that all the pesticides, preservatives, chemicals, additives, etc. that have been added to our foods has been a factor in the rising cancer, obesity, etc. levels in our society’s history. Plus, my family has a lot of cancer, diabetes and strokes in their history. So for me, giving it a shot might be worth it.

However, I didn’t really look past what it was doing for me. Buying locally (CD’s, books, coffee shops, clothes) and eating foods from organic farmers does a lot more than make you healthy. It also takes away the demand for products that are manufactured in ways which hurt our surroundings and ourselves. But anyways, check into it if you’re bored. At least watch the film, it’s hilarious.

Oh man, I’m a tree hugger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home