3.16.2005

Beautiful

The always articulate and lovely Cecily has a post up about "Girl Culture" that I would like to share with my readers.

It's a post I've been swirling around in my head for awhile but couldn't make heads or tails to write. I thought about it: at Christmas when I asked my mom why she bought her god-daughter a "Bratz" doll when they looked like sluts and she said, "That's what she wants?" Or when I hear one of my gorgeous girlfriends talk about the parts of themselves they don't like, when all I can do is be jealous. When no matter how much that scale says or how I see my clothes fitting, I never quite feel "enough." These are things I wanted to write, but Cecily does it for me.

I have a friend, actually a couple, that have sweet, gorgeous little girls now and I shudder to think of them having the body image problems the females of this generation currently have. So what can we do as parents or friends or relatives of these girls (and boys too, I don't think it's just girls) to help them not feel this way anymore?

And as she says in the end of her post...well...you really are though, you know?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kitten said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:59 PM

 
Blogger Kitten said...

From Lance: I was going to post a comment but for some reason the computer at school won't let me post a comment on your page. I'm a man with same kind of insecurity issues and I'm sure that's not as rare as people might think but the same kind
of pressure isn't put on men as on women. My problems started from a
very young age when I was cute lmost doll looking boy who got lots of attention and affection. I never wanted that to go away...and I feel even now I constant need for attention and affection in any way that I can get it...even if the
attention is negative. When it comes to my body it's the same way...I know I don't have a bad body...but I find all the little things I can...so I'll have a reason
to feel the need for attention and affection. No one pays attention to the smart kid unless he's a success and has money...when you're a male. Women have it even harder...because men care even less about the success or money of a women compared to that carnal lust. It's a learning process...you have to take yourself away from all the spectacle...to realize what's right for you...and sometimes it just takes the
right person to give you that jolt you need. I don't know...I'm all wired on caffeine and typing like a madman filled with anxiety. By the end of the day I'll have no teeth left to grind. These are fraction of human psyche problems and the need to feel excepted by a group...a pack mentality...no one truly wants to be on their own...
I can't stop shaking

Lance

1:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home