3.17.2006

Working for a Woman

With my new semi-promotion I now work for a woman. (I say “semi” because it wasn’t more money, yet, but I was picked out of 10+ people to replace someone because of my superior abilities. So it was a compliment to how good of a job I do, even though it was a lateral move. Make sense?)

I’ve only worked for 2 women in my life (not counting high school fast food jobs) and I’ve noticed something: I don’t like it. But it makes sense when I think about it. Women seem to be brought up to look at other women as their competition. Whether it is for money or men, we’re playing against each other most of our lives. We’re supposed to fight to be the better mother, the better wife, the better blow job giver, the skinniest, have the biggest boobs…you name it. Hell pick up a magazine or watch TV, it’s everywhere. How we’re able to come together and build friendships I’ll never know.

Thank god for periods, that seems to draw us together. I’d say thank god for childbirth but my god, have you ever told someone you are for or against breastfeeding? You have to army crawl out of the chatroom.

This new woman I work for is very accomplished. She has a lot of letters after her name, a lot of stuff on her bio and resume and was sought out to work at our firm. Hell, she doesn’t even live in Chicago. She has an apartment here for when she flies in to work. She is someone I can respect as far as making something of herself.

But still there is something missing. The women I’ve worked for can be catty, they can go behind your back, they all have been helpless when it comes to little details but seems to treat me that like it’s expected. I can't quite explain it. It's a vibe maybe?

**DISCLAIMER: I am speaking from my limited experience. There very well might be women out there that I wouldn't get this vibe from.***

Now the exception being the last guy I worked for, that god forsaking prick of a man at my last job (did I mention they emailed me and want me back? HA HA HA HA HA. I about passed out from the gut laugh…all I could respond with was “Um. No”) may be a different story since he loved to treat the only 3 women in the office like his servant. However, all of the other men seemed to have that “treat women like a gentleman would” thing down. Women don’t have that built in it seems.

I guess my point in this is that I wish women, since we seem to have it much harder in the workplace and our own problems in the competitive world...I wish we could come together. Support each other, not try to one up.

This also could very well do with my thinking as well. I could be the one that prefers to work for men because I am a pretty good caregiver for guys in my life and have a knack for making myself “irreplaceable” at my job, so I'm actually the one competing. I also have a lot of guy friends, so maybe it’s just me.

Maybe I should take my own advice. Maybe I should cut back on the caffiene on a Friday too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. T said...

I love your post!!! I totally agree w/ the single exception of my old boss Darla, who I hope to return to soon. With her there was no competition or feeling of slave labor. Even though she was a higher level I felt completely like I was her equal.

I even have my current female co-worker constantly competing w/ me for the reason that I just cannot figure out... And she isn't even my boss or even my equal in "rank". Not that it matters to me where she "falls into place".

Oh and some previous bosses, Sharon (Sharin') Peters... And the Female Dean... Yea horrible to work for....

I personally think a lot of it depends on the position they are put in. Some women (and men) get HUGE egos by their positions. Like being hung up on your title, too. Ugh! Drives me crazy.

Where was I going???

Well, I guess you are right in that woman compete for everything with each other. I guess its our nature. I don't think we will every "come together" as you put it. People's personalities just clash way too much. Although it would be nice wouldn't it?

I'm windy (and PMSy)...

10:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home