5.13.2005

Rhubarb

Thankfully my little Grandma H. has email because it's allowed us to keep in contact the past couple of years since I've moved 150 miles to the northwest. I cherish these emails, in fact, secretly I have saved most of them. Even the little ones that just ask "How are you?" I do this because I can't fathom a time in my life where I won't be able to hear her voice or see her smile or hear her laugh or receive her lovely, well written emails and cards. And I do mean well written, my Grams is an eloquent writer. So I'm sentimental, but whatever works.

This past mother's day got me thinking...it's not always just about your mother. I was raised by a large group of grandmothers as well as my mother. I firmly believe this made me more well rounded. It breaks my heart to know if I don't get on the ball, my kids are going to not have a lot of grandmothers or great grandmothers to surround them. I wonder how my kids will be different than me if they don't have the experience of running around on a farm, helping my grandma cook, making a fort out of her sewing room, spending weeks on end in the summer camping and fishing, using boxes she saved for us just to play house in, etc....What about our culture as a whole? Where video games, TV and fast food and so on rule the lives of a lot of kids. Do people even get outside anymore? Maybe I'm being overdramatic.

Well anyways, this post sorta got to rambling...what I originally wanted to share with you was my Grams' rhubarb cobbler recipe. Rhubarb will forever remind me of her farm and my great-grandmother's specialty and the fact that they all saved me some extremely bitter raw pieces because they knew I loved it without once questioning my mental health.

Try it raw while you're baking this....see if you don't question my mental health for loving it? That's the power of a Grandmother.

4 cups diced rhubarb
4 cups cubed bread
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup margarine melted

In a bowl combine rhubarb, bread cubes and sugar, toss to coat. Add butter, mix well. Turn into a 11 in. x 7 in. x 2 in. baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees 40-45 min. or until golden, serve warm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home