10.03.2004

Um, I guess this is 500

Fucking Blogger didn't update my stats right, so I guess this is officially 500. Oh well, such is HTML.

Anyhoo...thought I'd give you a recipe today. Now, the "concept" of this dish was originally my mother-in-law's (or Mom #2, as I called her). Being the generous soul that she was and probably secretly hoping it would prompt us to give her grandchildren in return, she told me her recipe on several occasions. Being the dope head I am, I never remembered it completely or wrote it down. This dish makes my husband turn into a drooling imbecile at the very thought of having it on his plate. Every time she would ask us over for dinner he'd sweetly beg her to make this dish. And though she'd have the ingredients for something far more elegant, she'd throw this in to please her beloved son.

And I must admit, I was hooked as well. This made me feel like I'd finally turned into the daughter-in-law and wife they had always hoped.

I must also make this clear that my MIL (Mother-in-law) was NOT into healthy eating or cooking and mostly whipped up serious comfort food. The kind of food that mom's are known best for! So dieter's, you might as well forget it.

Anyways, I'm trying to recreate this recipe as best I can, but it is a far cry from her original. For instance, I'm using Manwich and she made hers from scratch. Man, I can hear her now on whatever plane of existence she's currently rockin'. She's got a Misty 100 hanging off her lip and sitting at a kitchen table with my great-grandma, Eva, knee deep in a game of Skip-bo. As soon as she hears the Manwich can being opened she cringes and looks to my grams, "I always knew that girl would give my son trouble."

So here is the recipe. And if you have some homemade recipe for "Manwich", please pass it along. I'm pissing off the spirit world here people.

Bake 8" x 8" or slightly bigger pan of cornbread. After cornbread is complete, layer on top with sliced cheese. Then add layer of Manwich type stuff. Then another layer of cheese, another layer of Manwich and cover with cheese. Yea. Then put in oven at about 400 F until cheese is melted.

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home