9.27.2004

To Sister with love

This weekend was great, flipping bloody great (Sorry, been watching alot of BBC). We got down to my mom's on Friday and we all sat around the kitchen table while I prepared some food for the next day's cookout just laughing and catching up. Her boyfriend (who I actually like) just proposed to her on Thursday. So she's all giddy and it's cute. The highlight though was when my mom and I laid on her bed and talked, really really talked for about an hour or so.

Mom surprised me actually. I spilled the beans on my recent relationship troubles and she was completely understanding, even gave me what I feel to be excellent advice. She also seemed to be really honest and sincere about how she felt and her life. We talked like girlfriends, completely open and candid. My appreciation for her increased even more that night, I suppose. And I'm going to try to give her more credit.

Saturday we got up and went to my dad's house to see my sister and family. More laughing, talking, hugs and Gram's molasses cookies. YUM. We walked around their farm for a bit too. That old pull in my heart that makes me never able to completely love the big city was there, tugging away.

That night we had a huge cook-out at my mom's. Most of my cousins, aunts, uncles, pseudo-aunts/uncles, etc. were there laughing until we couldn't breathe and reiminscing about old times. One of my best friends, E. even got to show up for awhile which was great.

I got to know my cousin Jeremiah's wife a little better too. I like this chick. She's tough as nails, funny and takes care of my cousin. I found out she's Irish, which since I've moved to Chicago and been surrounded by tough Irish gals, fascinates me to no end. Maybe it's old fashioned but I'd like my husband to brag about his wife's ability to make a good meal, kick some ass when necessary and down a beer with the best of them like my cousin did.

All the while I noticed Jamie, my sister, being really quiet for the most part. Later I asked her if she was okay and she said, "Yea, I just feel really foreign to all this now." She is doing well though. Looks great still and making plans for the future. She's going to apply for college to finish nursing and stay on with the program for awhile. She actually sounds more grown up than I do. Ha! I'm still worried she'll be in Indiana for an entire week but it is out of my control.

On the way home as a bonus, I got a call from an old dear friend of mine. We'd been out of contact for awhile, I was actually quite mad during that time. It all seems fine now, at least between us and I can't wait to see him again.

I left yesterday dragging my feet. I wanted to stay so bad and I never feel that way about my hometown. Although to be fair I wasn't really in the "town" as much as the country around it. I've never had an overwhelming urge to buy a house in the country, have kids and just be surrounded by family as I did this weekend and I still do as I sit here. Especially with this fun, action packed summer I've had, that's been the furtherest thing from my mind.

Also, my cousin Jeremiah put his arms around me Saturday night as we walked back up to the house after helping our grandparents in the car. He said something along the lines of "I love you and I never want this family to fall apart again, we have to keep it together after our grandparents are gone." Let's just say I won't forget that too soon.

My mom and sister are suppose to come up here this weekend for a visit. Maybe that will take this longing away a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home