3.24.2008

Media Cleanse

This woman did an experiment and turned off all media for an entire week. Called it a “Media Cleansing.” I think I might do this with the internet. Heaven help us if I don't keep up on what Britney Spears is currently doing to ruin her life or theMan doesn't get on Craigslist to look at all the deals we are constantly missing on photography equipment.

Here is how she describes the experiment:

“…The problem is not tv, or movies or the web. There is a lot to enjoy in all of these media. There is a lot of great entertainment and gorgeous works of art. I will not tell you to kill your television. (Although more power to you if you do)

What brought this on? you are probably wondering. Mostly, it is because I feel overwhelmed. I've noticed that my mind is cluttered. I feel scattered. I feel a bit low. I feel exhausted. I have defaulted to tv and the internet for the easy fix. But my sense is that it is costing me something too.

Like I said, this is an experiment. I am looking forward to seeing what shifts for me in simply having a consciousness around these habits. I am not necessarily looking to change them permanently, only to see what shows up in the space where those things were. Will there be more music? books? Will we play board games? write love letters? take more walks?”


For several years now we have been without cable television, much to my mother horror (Hi mom!). I’d say television totally but we still watch movies semi-regularly and purchase TV shows on DVD to keep up with on our computer monitor. I like the time we spend cuddling up to scare ourselves witless with Jason & Grant and those adorable kids on Paranormal State. But the sentence: “...I've noticed that my mind is cluttered. I feel scattered. I feel a bit low. I feel exhausted. I have defaulted to tv and the internet for the easy fix. But my sense is that it is costing me something too.” That really struck a chord with me.

I also notice that our non-cable watching time is being filled up more and more with shows we’ve downloaded or video podcasts. It’s starting to become a habit again, even if we aren’t inundated with commercials. I also got to babysit Coen all weekend and the number of times I defaulted to letting him watch Sesame Street was a little more than I’m proud to admit. Have I really run out of things to do with him? I only see him twice a week, it’s not like I’m stuck in a house all day and I still had to turn on the tube? Eeeek.

Mostly though I’m feeling very overwhelmed and pulled in a 100 directions. My resolution was to have a lot more time for myself. To not plan out every weekend until July and I’m not doing a good job with it. Yes, all of our plans are fun and rewarding but to sit at home and relax and read makes me feel anxious, like I should be getting something else done instead. I'm to the point where I have to convince myself to nap.

Also, my dear friend Heather emails me daily back and forth with everything she accomplishes in a day and even though she watched an episode of Cops here and there, the girl is non-stop!! She’s my inspiration for this as well.

Finally, I’m also anxious to see if our house will not be as filthy, if all the projects I’ve got in my head/closet will get done and if, please sweet baby Jesus, theMan and I will spend more time talking and cuddling without the use of our marital aid (Ghosthunters).

So hey...starting tomorrow, March 25th until Monday, March 31st...I’m signing off. Will report back.

Who’s with me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home