4.20.2006

We're back

We're back from our trip down South for the funeral. I was emotionally okay most of the trip except when I again had to go to the same funeral home that hosted my cousin, mother-in-law, great grandma and pretty much everyone else important to me. I feel awful for his kids and wife. The service was nice though, not too much god-selling and heavy with antedotes about his life.

I did heave great sobbing sobs (?) at the cemetery however when the American Legion played Taps for him. After hearing that at my cousin's funeral it just cuts right to my core. As soon as we drove up and I saw them standing by the coffin with their guns for the salute, my heart sank.
We went over as a family unit and said howdy to my mother-in-law too. Have I mentioned how tired I am of going to funerals?

A funny thing happened though, theMan's grandmother didn't recognize him. Not even when he said, "Do you remember me?" Due to all his weight loss she hadn't a clue until he told her! Then the next day she asked him if he had been sick because it was that dramatic of a change. Gotta love that.

We found out that his family (on his mother's side) gets together weekly for cards and a meal now and have been doing that for the past year. I'm looking forward to getting close with his family again. Things were strained for a long time before and after his mom died. But hey, maybe something good came from it.

Right now I'm at work with cramps and a case of the "I'll fucking gut you like a fish if you ask me any more stupid questions". So there's that.

But it is my great-grandfather's birthday today and although I know he won't read this, I wanted to put it out there for him anyways! Love you gramps!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home