1.06.2006

Now you can all hate me

This was on the front page of a paper from my hometown.

The rally was held because of a recent federal order stating that the name of Jesus Christ can no longer be said in opening prayers for house sessions. According to Sharp, on Nov. 30, Judge David S. Hamilton of the U.S. Federal Court made that ruling in a lawsuit from the Indiana Civil Liberties Union naming Speaker of the House Brian Bosma as the defendant. Hamilton ruled that the Indiana House of Representative can no longer open its sessions with a prayer that specifically promotes any denominations.

"I am excited about what the Lord is doing," Sharp continued. "I give Him all the glory, honor, and praise. The Statehouse and the federal government need to use the name of Jesus in their sessions because they will be blessed and they will have more unity. Without the name of Jesus, there is no unity," Sharp said.

I sent this to the paper in response:

“Besides the first thing I thought when I read this was “Why is this news??” Plus the fact that you put in your supposeably "unbiased" article the "myths of the separation of church vs. state" then didn't list those myths or your superior efforts at myth-busting, I do commend this young lady for standing up for something she believes in. However, if she wasn’t a Christian and did agree with the removal of the words “Jesus Christ”, would that have made front page? I doubt it. Thousands of atrocities against humans are caused because of religion and I like to think the Constitution writers knew that. You don’t think that can happen here? Wake up. Let’s leave it neutral and get back to making our quality of lives better like lawmakers should be focusing on. What’s the big deal honestly? How about this, let’s let God decide if he’s upset over it. If the House of Representatives is smote, I’ll send her a "I'm sorry" bouquet.”


Sigh…..Okay, might as well put it out there…..5 mini-rants for a Friday:

1.) Let the gay people get married already. Honestly, I could give a shit. Us heteros are such upstanding examples of marriage perfection aren’t we? Put it into context. If you were with your mate would you want his/her family to come in and take everything if your partner died? Even though you bought it together? Would you want to be able to be on his/her insurance and vice versa? Would you want to be able to stay in a hospital with them overnight? Would you want to be able to register at Crate & Barrel like all good yuppies in love?

2.) Gasp…I’m also for gay people adopting. The adoption process is very rigid, unlike the uterus’s process of allowing crack whores to have offspring (intelligent design my ass), so if a gay couple decides to go through the long and arduous process of adoption to care and love for a child that no one wants….be my guest. Adoption agencies don’t’ just hand out kids like it’s candy on Halloween. You have to get police records, background checks, home studies and pay huge amounts of money.

3.) I’m for letting people burn the flag. That doesn’t mean I want too, I just don’t care if other people get so mad they feel that is the only way they can make a statement. Look at the tag people, they are all made in China anyways. (thank you Bill Hicks)

4.) I think sports should not be funded by tax payers and don’t belong in public school. P.E. sure, sports programs that build huge stadiums and uniforms and mandatory rallies….no. I went to a high school that had a larger per square foot portion of the school dedicated to sports than the academic department. The musical was only funded if we made enough money in ticket sales the year before yet band couldn’t practice marching on the football field for fear of hurting the grass. How many people make a career out of sports versus something learned in academics?

5.) I think marijuana should be legalized. Call me a hippy, but I find it endlessly fascinating that people will put all manner of prescriptions into their body made in some company they’ve never visited before they will smoke something a friend of a friend grew in their backyard. Not only that but alcohol is legal. Enough said. Plus, A LOT OF PEOPLE SMOKE POT MR. PRESIDENT, including your twin daughters…who cares.

Do you think people get this up in arms about real problems in this country? No they do not. IT’S ALL A DISCTRACTION PEOPLE!

Whew…someone buy me a drink and give me a Vicodin. I feel like going to confession.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home