2.24.2004

My Day of Hell:

Tuesday started bright and early at 5:30 a.m. when I awoke from tossing and turning to a retarded nightmare involving Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Nothing worked, I couldn't get back to sleep. I get into work and notice my main Excel files are gone which holds vital company information. I search around and lo and behold, all Microsoft Office documents are gone....databases, spreadsheets and even .jpg images are disappearing before my eyes. Yep, we caught the MyDoom virus last night. Fun. There were over 270+ instances of the virus found on our servers.

When I asked some of the employees if they had received any suspicious emails, the response I got was literally: "I opened a few weird things, but didn't figure it was a big deal."

Normally I snicker when TechTV has specials on viruses or worms. I think "heh, those clever hackers. Taking down big business! Yee haw!" Now, I want their balls served to me on a big plate with lemon & parsley garnish.

The real kicker, I'm in charge of computer administration which means I'm in charge of backing up the server. Did I do it? I thought so, but our IT guys already can't find any info on one set of tapes. I have 2 more tapes to go through before I'm probably fired.

Oh, and I have a dentist appointment tomorrow. Maybe I'll get a root canal to top things off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home