2.09.2006

Friday Five (Early Edition)

Because I get a little anxious about riding on planes, and I have to ride one tonight, I’ve decided to do a Friday Five (a day early) that looks back on life.

1. What did you want to be when you grew up?
I still remember in the 2nd grade I told my class I wanted to be an astronaut because all of the girls were saying things like “teacher” and the boys were listing a wider selection of careers. It just didn’t seem fair. Not that being a teacher is bad, that’s highly respectable to me. But even then I felt a sense of rebellion against what I was “supposed” to do as a girl and what the boy’s answers were.

2. Did you follow through? If not, what happened?
No, because even then I knew I didn’t really want to be an astronaut. However, I still like to do things I’m not supposed to as a “girl.” Like talk like a sailor, lift heavy things, know how to use power tools and get dirty.

3. Is your life turning out the way you thought it would when you were a kid?If not, is it better or worse?
I have several things I’ve always known would happen, even if they weren’t as specific as a career choice. Things I’ve had as rules for myself. 1.) I’d get a college degree so I could always take care of myself financially. 2.) I’d never be in so much debt that I’d have to borrow money off of my grandparents. 3.) I’ll have kids, one way or another. 4.) I’ll own some land and build a house. 5.) I’ll never let a man hit me. And 6.) I’ll experience life outside of my hometown. So far, so good.

4. Paradoxes aside, if you could time-travel back to when you were 10 years old, what would you tell your 10-year-old self?
To not worry so much about your weight and what people think of you, to not get so caught up with boys, to treasure your family and to take a year off before going to college so you can visit other countries while you’re still comfortable enough with being poor and mortal.

5. Do you think the child you were, would like the adult you've become?
Yes, I believe so. I’ve stuck to my rules for myself and I’m surrounded by people I love and that love me. Plus, I’d be a cool mom to a 10 year old.

So there you go. Feel free to steal this and leave me a link to your blog. See you Sunday!

P.S. If you live close to Chicago, don’t forget about our film being shown at the theCOLLECTED WORKS - FILM FESTIVAL on Sunday at the Underground Lounge!! Doors open at 8:00 p.m.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. T said...

Done

8:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home