8.09.2004

Fahrenheit 9/11 Rant

For starters: Michael Moore.com

We saw Fahrenheit 9/11 last night. Why it took me so long to see it, I'm not sure. But with most things, last night ended up being the perfect night to go.

A lot of blogs or reviews I read start their review out with "Now I realize Michael Moore is biased or slanted...blah blah blah." No shit. We all are. All of our opinions are based on our experiences, beliefs, etc. Grow some balls, if you believe something, state it. He's not god, he's just some guy.

I'm not starting mine out with that. I felt this way before I watched the movie, so I'm just one of those people that agree with it. You may not, that's okay. I had read some of the information presented in the movie prior to seeing it in documentary form. For instance, the oil lines contracted by Bush's friends being built through the Middle East. The fact that Halliburton is profiting from this war like no one else (Dick Cheney's company). The fact that Bush and cabinet members reported there was no threat from Iraq in 2000, only to change their mind as soon as it was possible so we could start the war. The fact that the Bush family has ties with Bin Ladin family. The fact that Bush tried to block a 9/11 commission and now is gun-ho about an investigation because it's election year. The fact that if the middle east had no oil, we would have never been there. The fact that Bush's administration has used repeated fear tactics to keep it's people under control.

The one thing I didn't realize or see from that angle, was how the government or what seems like rich people in this country, prey on the lower and middle class to fight their wars for them so they can increase their wealth. To see the business men talk in the movie about the profits they stand to gain at the expense of some people. The fact that working class people are shown the military as a way to go to college, to see the world. No one tells them the facts it seems: You are going to a foreign country to kill brown people so we can do what we want with their resources.

"They" use other words like "casualty". Not killing and death. They also don't mention that Bush Sr. passed some sort of law I guess so we can't show their bodies returning from the war. That Bush is trying to cut funding for vets, yep...even those 19-year old kids who come back with their arms blown off, not just Vietnam or WWII vets people.

I never for one moment thought this war was necessary. I don't feel any less or more strongly about it after seeing the movie. I also feel like supporting the troops means getting them home, not buying into whatever we're told to keep them there.

It was interesting to see how Bush reacted to 9/11. He just sat there for what? 7-10 minutes? No one told him what to do so he had no idea how to react. All he did was sit there with a look on his face like he just shit his pants hoping someone would rescue him. Which it seems "someone" has done for him his entire life.

I wanted to drive over and shake the senator that said this regarding why he didn't read the Patriot Act, "We don't read every bill we pass, that would slow down legislature." WHY THE FUCK ARE WE PAYING YOU THEN!?

I sobbed through a lot of the movie. It's not a feel-good movie. It's infuriating actually. I still cried when I was leaving and it took me a little bit to start a conversation about it, a conversation that ended up lasting until 2 a.m. last night.

I don't take Michael Moore as gospel. I know that facts can be presented in a way to make it look one way or the other. However, other than the heart-strings stuff, it seems the facts stand on their own merit.

On that note, no...I don't love John Kerry. He voted for the Patriot Act, he voted for the war. I'm still of the mind to let a different asshole give it a try.

Did you know that young women are the least likely to vote? Not this year ladies, come on. Voting is not an inconvenience, it's important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home